Marina Antunes [Celluloid 12.11.13] scifi action

Alien invasion. War. Time travel. I have no idea what on earth is going on in Edge of Tomorrow.

Directed by Doug Liman of Go, The Bourne Identity and Jumper fame, Edge of Tomorrow is based on Hiroshi Sakurazaka's "light novel" "All You Need is Kill" and I sure as heck hope that the writers in charge of this adaptation have fully understood and translated what Sakurazaka had in mind with the rest of the movie because this trailer is a mess.

Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt star as soldiers in the midst of the war against an invading alien race known as Mimics except that Cruise's character is also stuck in a time loop that reboots him into his first day as a recruit, apparently with full memory of what has transgressed in previous "lives."

It's flashy, and loud and a giant mess. I like Cruise and Blunt but this trailer doesn't do much to sell the movie. Here's hoping Liman and crew can pull it off because there are suggestions of something interesting underneath all the flash.

Edge of Tomorrow opens June 6, 2014.

UncleB (6 years ago) Reply

Looks like Tom is going to take a Big 'ol dump on All You Need Is Kill

Keith (6 years ago) Reply

Looks like someone has been drinking the cool-aid at the church of sciontology

donc48 (6 years ago) Reply

I'm I the only one getting a Starship Trooper vibe from this thing?

Fendell (6 years ago) Reply

It is not confusing at all. Do you need everything spelled out? Give me a break.

cruise hater (6 years ago) Reply

emily blunt is one of the hottest actresses out there, shame they have to ruin it all by putting cruise in it. so itll be an all out special effects master piece with very little story, or enough so cruise looks like he knows what hes doing anyway.

AfghanistanOne (6 years ago) Reply

In the book the soldier is a green recruit, finds and accidentally kills a special enemy, and then dies. And then wakes up. And does this over and over until he is a seasoned veteran. And, he meets a female soldier who undergoes the same thing EACH time she has battled before. The aliens use tachyons to fire back how they lose battles and when he killed the transmitter leader his mind goes back over and over with it unless he kills the special enemy in a certain way... So it's about this poor guy that just keeps dieing and going back over and over. Was a very good book to read.

masque36 (6 years ago) Reply

Looks awful to me.

Digger (6 years ago) Reply

Donc48 beat me to the punch, I was going to make a snarky comment about this being a Starship Troopers remake (or sequel) and QE had simply gotten their trailers mixed up...

thanks (6 years ago) Reply

thanks AfghanistanOne - for basically spoiling the plot just to get across the fact you've read at least one book in your life

AfghanistanOne (6 years ago) Reply

Not a problem. Here is another spoiler. Godzilla has a lizard in it. Good thing that whole paragraph I wrote later ruined this one. Now this one sentence will ruin ever Godzilla movie for you ever. Spoiled the plot... Lol.

Song is reminiscent of the Johann Johannsson track used in the Battle: LA trailer. Anyone who what it is, or is it part of the film's score, do you think?

Figured out what the song is:

But... a remixed version.

Fendell (6 years ago) Reply

Have any of you naysayers made a movie?.....I didn't think so.

Koolz (6 years ago) Reply

wow looks great you get the whole movie from that trailer which I loved. I couldn't stand the music which sucks that this is not the end is cheesy and out of place! I look forward to seeing this Tom Cruise looks like he is going to do an amazing Job as the Lead!

Cletus (6 years ago) Reply

Don't matter how good or bad it is... Groundhog day with aliens? I'm there!