Christopher Webster [Celluloid 07.24.13] scifi thriller

What this new trailer amounts to is an unedited, single take moment from Alfonso Cuaron's new space thriller, Gravity, which shows us how Clooney and Bullock get launched into space. To say it is an impressive piece of cinema is an understatement, I think. Not only is it thrilling and terrifying, but its dizzying, whirling camera makes you feel like you're in the thick of things. Just, wow.

Apparently the film screened at SDCC and the response was good, the consensus being that it was one of the only "original" projects in a sea of monsters and superheroes. My question is whether it's essentially just Open Water in space. I'm not trying to be glib either, just curious.

Synopsis:
Gravity, directed by Alfonso Cuaron, stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in a heart-pounding thriller that pulls you into the infinite and unforgiving realm of deep space. Bullock plays Dr. Ryan Stone, a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (Clooney). But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone—tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth... and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.

biofaust (7 years ago) Reply

Yoo-hoo! Americans score another rollercoaster ride! But if I want a film I don't look at their stuff anymore, and lately less and less to what QE writes about. Too bad, since before they were my reference for good cinema.

I think Alfonso Cuaron's earned his place here.

Marina (7 years ago) Reply

I agree. The man has serious cred and this is right up our alley. Just because there are "stars" involved doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth covering.

I have a feeling this is gonig to be one of those instances when the gen pop will go in expecting one thing and get something completely different.

From what I hear, it's already dividing audiences. Likely because it's actually an indie at heart.

Marina (7 years ago) Reply

Exactly what I was hoping to hear!

chuc k (7 years ago) Reply

When I read 'dizzying, whirling camera' I was dismayed. Too many directors use jerky camera work to hide poor CGI, bad lighting or crappy blocking.
This shot was done right. The camera is smooth and the background goes nuts. It conveys a sense of chaos while remaining 'followable'. I'm looking forward to this one.

Sceptical (7 years ago) Reply

Wow, the CGI looks completely rubbish!

Mo (7 years ago) Reply

Pacific Rim - He says in the trailer that it is not an adoptation and it is original material? ... how about I write "Evangelion"

donc48 (7 years ago) Reply

Wow I love this trailer the CGI is great it catches the near panic before the debris hits and after is just great. I'm going to look for this one,