Christopher Webster [Celluloid 04.18.11] post apocalyptic movie news

Considering Richard Matheson's "I am Legend" is one of the most iconic post-apocalyptic literary visions ever, you can imagine how excited we all were for the modern retelling. Then it starred Will Smith. And then it featured bad CGI vampires with stretchy mouths.

Even people who really like the latest I am Legend movie starring Will Smith complain about those stretchy, laughable CGI vampires in it. But would it surprise you to know that they weren't always envisioned that way?

A video has been dug up that shows a creature makeup test and it's hauntingly articulate and realistic. It from special effects artist Steve Johnson and you can't help but wonder how awesome these things would have been in action.

Check out the early makeup test for I Am Legend after the break and tell us how you think it compares to what we got.

Richard Matheson's "I am Legend"

Those 2 minutes were better than the whole film.

chuck (9 years ago) Reply

happened across 'The last Man on Earth' last night on TV and realized that the wife had never seen any of the Matheson adaptations. Tonight we will watch 'Omega Man' and 'I Am Legend'. Now I can show her this 'might have been' footage. Thanks- would have made the film much better.

The mockbuster I Am Omega effects were better than I Am Legend.

Doesn't matter what kind of FX they used, it's still a mediocre film and a bad adaptation of the b

madmanwithacrowbar (9 years ago) Reply

Well, to be fair: the original cut by Francis Lawrence makes the movie much better. (But the studio said "f**k it, this needs to be more american".)
But even then, with the story of the movie it makes no sense that it is still called I Am Legend. The woman and the kid ruined the original spirit of the story. Instead of having the woman rescuing him, they should have let the creatures capture him. And the rest of the story like it was in the book.

Personally, I do not think that the cgi-creatures were that bad. But yes, they should have used a mixture of physical and digital effects.

But the first 30 minutes are worth owning on BluRay. Sometimes I just watch the part with the post-apokalyptic New York.

Jay.Mac (9 years ago) Reply

Wasn't Johnny Depp in the running at one point to play the lead bad guy?

These real FX would have made the movie ten times better than it was- and the first three quarters of it was excellent. The end felt rushed and half-hearted, like they just gave up on finishing it properly.

Umbereto (9 years ago) Reply

Ame il film era piaciuto ed ho trovato Will Smith veramente in parte,certo i vampiri erano un po' ridicoli... il make up di Steve Johnson sarebbe stato molto meglio...

default is Anonymous (9 years ago) Reply

Damn... if only....

Until they "get it right" CGI should never be used for anything beyond background fixes, supplement, etc. Never for lead characters, etc.

Newt Clements (9 years ago) Reply

That was fantastic. The moisture on the eyes, and the vein detail is amazing.