Christopher Webster [Celluloid 03.19.10] Czech Republic movie news fantasy

Okay, so I essentially stole that headline from a comment made by our friend Andrew Mack over at Twitch, but it just so nailed the feeling in this great looking Czech kids movie I couldn't resist.

Seriously gang, this is an amazing looking film. Watching the trailer only solidifies what a horrible job Where the Wild Things Are did at capturing life through the eyes of a child. What a wank-fest that was (flame away folks).

Synopsis:
Kuky Returns is the story of a boy six Ondra, who suffers from asthma, and so on "health reasons" must be off his favorite toy - a pink bear kuky. When mom Kukyho throw in the trash, it will work Ondrová fantasy in which experienced Kukyho adventure in an unknown natural world. It's really just a dream a little boy or kuky actually went to the biggest adventure of his plush life

Kuky Returns is an adventure, a poetic family story in which the main role, however, take the heroes of children's fantasy worldwhere the only heroes are the puppets. "I thought then change the scale and place the story directly into the microcosm, his protagonists make small enough that the roots of the tree decorations, light in the atmosphere made raspberry leaves, fuzz was all the props and extras natural insects," says Jan Sverak, who is also the author scenarios and as with most of his recent films also the producer.

Watch the trailer after the break and if you want more information head over to the film's official website.

Anglebender (11 years ago) Reply

Wow this is beautiful!

el chupacabras mum (11 years ago) Reply

Ooh i know a little kid and his big kid dad that will be eager to see this. It also reminds me of the Samorost and Haluz point and click games. Lovely

newKukyFan (11 years ago) Reply

This looks great, I can't wait to see it.

G.H. (11 years ago) Reply

It looks so simple, but something about it had me absolutely transfixed.

perkules (11 years ago) Reply

Trailer looks great. I'll be visiting Prague soon, but the release date seems to be late 2010 (as far as I can make from the movie's site). Could you suggest any Chech SF/ fantasy films on DVD? I'll be looking for any Svankmajer film or Jiri Barta's new film plus Ikari XB1 (found them here: http://www.terry-posters.com/about ). Any other suggestion?

scott (11 years ago) Reply

chupa's mum has a point - jakub dvorsky (of amanita design, who made the samorost games and machinarium) is the production designer on this movie.

rek (11 years ago) Reply

Fantastic. This looks exactly like what I spent my time daydreaming about when I was 12.

el chupacabras mum (11 years ago) Reply

I just come back to this to show said kid this trailer and it did indeed have the expected result. There were many utterences of ooh, coool and sick so eyes will stay peeled for ways to see this in the UK. i was gonna look up to see if there was a link between this film and Amanita Design but thenk's to scott i now know.Go play the samorost games and machinariun because they are rather marvelous too. To The Blog!