Christopher Webster [Celluloid 11.06.09] post apocalyptic movie news video video game

Some movies just lend themselves to a video game tie-ins. Iron Man, Star Wars anything with larger than life heroes and villains really and anything set in space. But I have to say that when I read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road," I didn't immediately think, man that would make a great video game!

Granted the game, called "Survive the Road," is more like that old PC game, The Oregon Trail, or a choose-your-own-adventure game where you choose options and see if you can make it through the story alive. Certainly not fun enough to warrant all the work that went into it and even a little inappropriate considering the film is an Oscar contender.

But anyway, I know you're all dying to play it, so check it out and leave a comment.

Ben Austwick (11 years ago) Reply

The developers of Fallout 3 say they took inspiration from The Road (in the raiders and the cannibalistic charnel houses), and I think it can only be realised in that kind of empty, endless setting and open gameplay.

Actually, although Fallout 3 is obvioulsy miles awasy from The Road, I can't see how you could get any nearer without rewriting the video game rulebook - which, cynic though I am, I can't see this game doing.

GC (11 years ago) Reply

Simply a marketing tool, as if the film or the writing actually need it.

I've loved Fallout since 'Wasteland', but the point of the novel does not revolve around role-playing a post-apoc setting in your mind. It aims much deeper to your core and likely could have been written with the same impact under a variety of other backdrops while leaving its existential impact.

It is typical 21C problem. We all know one artistic medium can be adapted to another, but people have a problem with the 'should' aspect these days.

Hussman (11 years ago) Reply

Not a bad game, but a little on the long side. Tough too

uncleB (11 years ago) Reply

Fallout 3 was very time consuming, but i see very little in common with the road book (besides the obvious)and FO3. their talking oscars. if viggo is half as good as mccormic"s father, he's a shoe in for best actor and yes fallout kicks ass

XAdamDX (11 years ago) Reply

Is anyone else running into the problem where no matter how much food you find in the game, the food meter never refills at all?

wilcoy (11 years ago) Reply

It's a good marketing tool gives ya something to do till Nov. 25th LoL...I wouldn't compare this to Fallout 3 which owes me at least a month of my life back. Anyhow the game is alright but I like what they've done to the offical website especially the book qoutes and the music stream.

RD350 (11 years ago) Reply

XAdamDX, I have the same problem, I find food but I still end up starving to death. Are you using a MAC? I am.

s (11 years ago) Reply

How about a game like Deus or Robonson's Requiem where there are bad guys but your biggest enemy is plain survival.
Finding food, bandaging your wounds and finding a safe and warm place to sleep.

Bob Doto (11 years ago) Reply

Me and the kid got shot in the head.

I'm the worst parent, ever.

Jason (11 years ago) Reply

I am using a PC and cannot collect food. very frustrating.

XAdamDX (11 years ago) Reply

Jason and RD350,
Played it on PC and Mac, food meter never refilled on either. I'm currently taking an Adobe Flash class, so it was fun to recognize how they made everything, but frustrating to see that they built it so badly that you can never win. ugh.

Jason (11 years ago) Reply

XAdamDX,
Do you know of a way to fix it. because it seems like other people are able to play without a problem.

MDS (11 years ago) Reply

I wish that food would replenish and you didn't get shot in the head all the time. FIX THE FOOD METER!

Still an awesome game {8)