Christopher Webster [Celluloid 12.12.08] post apocalyptic zombies movie news video

Co-director Andy Micthell just dropped us a line to let us know that the first episode of his new zombie webseries American Heart has officially dropped. The production's plan is to have a new episode up on the site each week and they've even offered up the entire series to yours truly for review so watch for that.

A zombie outbreak takes a small southern town by surprise. In the wake of destruction, a motley crew of survivors finds shelter in the local hospital. Led by the town's naive sheriff, a ditzy talk show host, a washed up actor, and two attractive teens must learn to live together and come out alive. But between bickering over dinner, surfing the Internet, and having sex with each other, can the gang find time to fight off the undead?

With it's cast of selfish bickering nerdowells, American Heart looks to be an edgy and hilarious take on the survivors-under-siege genre. You can check out the first episode on the series' official website.

zenseeker (12 years ago) Reply

I turned it off after just 30 seconds...the acting was awful, and not in a good cheesy B-Movie type way...it was just shit!

Ah, it's not so bad! Helluva lot better than other web stuff I've seen.

pdb1115 (12 years ago) Reply

Zenseeker, maybe you should go back and watch more of this. American Heart is campy and fun. I don't think this was meant to be high art, but it's great mental bubble gum. The script is a spoof on reality TV, and the Lucy character is so much like the bimbos on all those reality shows; the actress really does her job. The guy who plays Eric (Ben Yannette) is smokin' hot. Damn, I hope he takes his shirt off at some point. I am looking forward to the second episode. Wish I could watch the whole thing in one sitting.

zenseeker (12 years ago) Reply

Sorry, but "Dead Set" did this so much better, and the poor acting, whether it was supposed to be camp or not, is just to awful to stand. I can accept camp, but this is just plain shite.

pdb1115 (12 years ago) Reply

Never heard of "Dead Set"--do you have a web address where I can view it? I'd love to see it.

pdb1115 (12 years ago) Reply

Never mind, Zenseeker, I found it at e4.com and also on youtube. I find both projects to be quite different in tone. "Dead Set" looks like serious drama, whereas "American Heart" is all about having fun. In addition, "American Heart" appears to have been shot on a shoestring budget, whereas the British "Dead Set" seems to have better financing. They really don't seem similar to me.

Hot Fuzz (12 years ago) Reply

Dead Set was also very well produced and probably had about 10 times the budget of this. Dead Set was amazing however. One of the best zombie anythings I've ever come across.

Dolphins85 (12 years ago) Reply

I really don't see why you think you the acting is so awful...can you name a particular scene you thought was bad? I thought it was slow in a few parts but I mean, it's the first one so it'll probably pick up after this. But the acting I thought was consistently good and I liked everyone, especially Neil and Rachel

hillsidechill (12 years ago) Reply

Just watched the first episode and I'm with you, Dolphins85, I thought the acting was pretty great. I really like the Sheriff cuz he's sorta quirky and off center. All the actors were well cast.

Corrado (12 years ago) Reply

I think it's pretty entertaining... And they have enough episodes right now so maybe you should all give it a shot.

Diane Strother (10 years ago) Reply

Why do I have a charge to this on my bank statement and never heard of this place or site before in my life