Christopher Webster [DVD News 11.10.08] news cyberpunk scifi dvd dystopic

20th Century Fox has set Mathieu Kassovitz's Babylon A.D. for DVD and Blu-ray release on January 6th 2009. If you were one of the few who actually got a chance to see the film during it's blink-and-you'll-miss-it theatrical run you'll know just how much the film lost the plot by the 3rd act.

The first half of the film is actually not bad. It's a gritty little cyberpunk actioner with an interesting European cast that doesn't take itself too seriously. Indeed I would stand by the first half of the film, but man it goes down the drain by the end. This is why I'm interested to learn more about this supposed "unrated" version that'll appear on the DVD. Of course "unrated" hardly means "director's cut" or even "extended cut" but, with any luck, a longer version might just salvaged this dreary effort from the landfill. Full DVD specs after the break.

The Babylon A.D. Special Edition two-disc unrated cut is presented in widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) and features English 5.1 Dolby Digital and French Dolby Surround with English, Spanish and French subtitles. The Special Edition DVD also features a Digital Copy. Bonus Features include:

* Babylon Babies –How author Maurice G. Dantec’s novel went from page to screen
* Arctic Escape – An inside look at the snow mobile chase
* Fit For The Screen – A featurette about the martial arts and stunts of the film
* Flight of the Hummers – The exciting Humvee chase is dissected
* Genesis of Aurora – A graphic novel prequel to Babylon A.D.
* Still gallery

Weyland (13 years ago) Reply

Wow it was so good I cant for the life of me remember any Humvee's in it? Chrysalis was so much better.

Dawn (13 years ago) Reply

my Boyfriend and I saw it in the threatre and loved until ... until the last 5 minutes, which seemed to genuinely ruin the rest of the movie for us. if this DVD had an alternate or extending ending, I would consider purchasing it though.

redangel1 (13 years ago) Reply

Reading the book then seeing the movie increases understanding of the movie exponentially....

userzero (13 years ago) Reply

I watched the movie in theaters and bought the DVD - I'm not sure why they called the DVD "Raw and uncut".... on the DVD, two scenes are missing that were in the theatrical release: 1. the hummer chase scene and 2. the very, very last scene (which I wont give away). Very annoying.

me (13 years ago) Reply

I completly loved the movie exept the ending. Iwould love to hear that theres an alternate ending for it.

Josh (12 years ago) Reply

The version on TV had some scenes missing, and had some scenes added in, like the humvee chase, as opposed to the unrated version.

Pael (12 years ago) Reply

W naszej Polskiej wersji DVD nie ma sceny w pociagu jak mowi ze zaslaniaja okna bo jest za wysokie promieniowanie. Mnie ta scena sie podobala w kinie i na angielskim DVD byla.