quietearth [Celluloid 10.20.11] anime scifi action

Warner Brothers has greenlit a live action remake of Akira and I can only think of three words: Visually. Stunning. Flop. I seriously doubt director Jaume Collet-Serra (Orphan, Unknown) will be able to do Katsuhiro Ohtomo's anime justice. Money is not the issue, he has $90 million to play with. I'm not an anime purist. I just can't envision a proper translation. However, I hope I'm wrong. Production is slated to start in February or March 2012 with Leonardo DiCaprio producing. No cast has been announced.

via Variety

(10 years ago) Reply

All I have to ask is, why? I love Akira and I just see this ruining it.

Lenny (10 years ago) Reply

I can see the story being told in a different way (hopefully it doesn't just try to ape the original). Casting is the key for me. There's a lot of bad choices out there and I'm fairly certain Hollywood knows how to make all of them.

(10 years ago) Reply

Well the only way they can save this movie is not to do an adapation of the anime but of the original manga. Plenty of stuff were left out of the anime. But Garret Hedlud as Kaneda HURGH!!!!

(10 years ago) Reply

I don't think this is going to be something that is faithful to the source material. It's just one persons interpretation of it from that material. Leo has some ideas, he has a director there going to try and create an entertaining film based on the movie.
That's about it.

uncleB (10 years ago) Reply

Does anyone remember what hollywood did with DragonBallz???

MrSatyre (10 years ago) Reply

The only time I'd ever consider watching this dreck is if James Cameron directed it. While I normally despise most of his work for one reason or another, I think he'd actually be the only one with the balls/vision and SFX department capable of pulling it off.

Ubik (10 years ago) Reply

Nolan too.

Speedy (10 years ago) Reply

Last i heard... it was set in New detroit, no drug references, different story to the Psy one, etc etc etc. Basically a kid on a red bike in a bike gang and hope all the Otaku watch it.

Mr.5 (10 years ago) Reply

... have i lost hope in mankind when i say there's no way i can picture this becoming anything elese than a gigantic flop?

(10 years ago) Reply

The anime was just a rendition on the manga anyway. Let's be hopeful. Just as long and Ryan Reynalds is far far away from this one